Hilti achieves CO2 neutrality in own operations
18 January 2024 11:52
The Hilti Group has reached the first milestone on the road to net zero by 2050. Since the end of 2023, it has been CO2-neutral within its own business activities, as planned in its sustainability strategy, according to a company statement. To achieve this, Hilti implemented the four-stage concept of reducing, replacing, producing and offsetting to avoid CO2 emissions, thereby meeting the criteria set by the Science Based Targets Initiative. This climate organization is a collaboration between the Carbon Disclosure Project, the United Nations Global Compact, the World Resources Institute and the World Wide Fund for Nature.
"Despite this important achievement, we also recognize the importance of addressing emissions along the entire value chain," commented CEO Jahangir Doongaji. "Our commitment to the Science Based Targets initiative will support our customers' sustainability ambitions and contribute to combating climate change."
According to the statement, Hilti reduced its own emissions by 60 per cent compared to 2019. The fact that Hilti has been using 100 per cent green electricity worldwide since 2020 was a key factor. The remaining 40 per cent of Hilti's global CO2 emissions are offset by projects that the company has developed with the Hilti Foundation and ClimatePartner. All projects are externally certified according to either the Gold Standard or the Verra Verified Carbon Standard. ce/mm